Are your employees using personal cell phones in the workplace? Many employers are frustrated with employees taking time during the workday to answer personal calls or texts. The constant din of ringtones can diminish a professional atmosphere and is often disruptive to co-workers, clients and business partners. Make sure your Employee Handbook includes a comprehensive personal cell phone policy. Here are some of the items to consider in developing a workplace cell phone policy:
- Be clear as to where personal cell phones are NOT allowed (i.e. manufacturing floor, front of store, etc.).
- If you do allow employees to carry personal cell phones at work, be sure to clarify if phones are to be turned off or “silenced” during work hours.
- State that employees may use personal cell phones during break or meal periods, but that such use should not interrupt customers or business operations.
- You may choose to allow employees to “limited and reasonable” personal use of cell phones in the workplace. If this is the case, request that employees excuse themselves to a private area so as not to disturb co-workers or business operations. Be sure to add that determination of “limited and reasonable” is at management’s discretion.
- Many states now have restrictions on use of cell phones in vehicles. If your employees drive during work hours, be sure to include policies adhering to state rules regarding cell phone use in vehicles. You may choose to go above and beyond state regulations and ban all forms of cell phone use while driving on company business. Consider purchasing “hands free” devices for employees who may need to make business calls while traveling in vehicles.
- If you provide company cell phones to employees, be sure to state whether or not you will allow personal use of such items. If you do allow “limited and reasonable” personal use of company phones, be clear that ALL cell phone communications (business or personal) must adhere to other company communications standards and not be harassing, inappropriate or illegal.